We hope you find these links and tools useful, exploring all aspects of setting up and running an organisation:
- Make sure to visit Knowhow Nonprofit for everything from an introduction to the voluntary sector to how to write financial procedures.
- Look up your local 'Council for Voluntary Services' (CVS) for free advice and guidance on setting up and developing your organisation. They also provide low-cost training and can advise on fundraising.
- Check out Do-it for support recruiting volunteers and trustees. You can also find your local volunteering centre at NCVO.
- Sign up to Start and Grow for free to access free training and resources.
- For free HR advice, check out ACAS.
- Look up the Charity Finance Group's low cost training options, subsidised by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.
We know how much work goes into measuring the impact of your work, and think you'd also find these tools useful:
- Nesta's guidance on developing a Theory of Change (PDF).
- New Philanthropy Capital's guide on impact measurement for small charities (link through to download PDF).
- Sign up for free to Survey Monkey, where you can conduct an online survey. Other ways to collect qualitative research are through interviews and focus groups.
- A summary of the new data protection law, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) taking effect from 25 May 2018
- LCF’s guidance on developing a safeguarding policy and procedures for working with children and young people (PDF) and vulnerable adults (PDF)
Fundraising and marketing
And finally, when it comes to securing funding and marketing your organisation, you might want to look here first:
- Read nfpSynergy's guide to fundraising for small organisations.
- Subscribe to NCVO's 'Funding Central' to search for funding opportunities.
- Read these tips on taking better photos with your smartphone.
- Watch this tutorial on setting up a Facebook page for your organisation.
For a comprehensive list of links and resources, please download our latest guide below.