We hope you find these links and tools useful, exploring all aspects of setting up and running an organisation:
- Make sure to visit Knowhow Nonprofit (opens in a new window) for everything from an introduction to the voluntary sector and grant fundraising to how to write financial procedures.
- Check out the Small Charities Coalition's guide (opens in a new window) on how to set up a charity.
- Look up your local 'Council for Voluntary Services' (CVS) (opens in a new window) for free advice and guidance on setting up and developing your organisation. They also provide low-cost training and can advise on fundraising.
When it comes to securing funding, here are some places to check out to get started:
- Check out CAF's free fundraising guide (opens in a new window) aimed at fundraisers working for small and medium sized charities
- Fundraiser Lizzi Hollis has compliled an extensive list of fundraising resources (opens in a new window).
- Subscribe to NCVO's 'Funding Central' (opens in a new window) to search for funding opportunities.
- A summary of the data protection law, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (opens in a new window) which took effect from 25 May 2018.
- NSPCC’s guidance on developing a safeguarding policy and procedures for working with children and young people (opens in a new window).
We know how much work goes into measuring the impact of your work, and think you'd also find these tools useful:
- Nesta's Theory of Change toolkit (opens in a new window) and NPC's guide to creating a theory of change (opens in a new window).
- New Philanthropy Capital's guide on impact measurement for small charities (opens in a new window) and guide on the principles of good impact reporting (opens in a new window).
Marketing and communications
- Small Charities Coalition have compiled a list of helpful resources, guides and toolkits across marketing and communications (opens in a new window).
- Media Trust has published a Digital Marketing Strategy webinar series (opens in a new window) and toolkit (opens in a new window).
For a comprehensive list of links and resources, please download our latest guide below.