This fund is now closed. Please sign up to our monthly grants ebulletin (opens in a new window) to stay up to date with our grants that are currently open.
The Elephant & Castle Community fund aims to build on the strengths of local people, celebrate the rich cultural diversity of the area, and support the people who are most in need at this time of change.
The Elephant & Castle Community Fund was set up in 2012 with a donation from Lendlease to support the local Elephant & Castle community during the regeneration of the area. Since then, the fund has continued thanks to generous donations from both Southwark Council and Lendlease and more recently Get Living.
Over the past decade, the fund has supported local grassroots organisations via annual funding and capacity building support, and we are committed to ensuring that funding decisions are made by a diverse panel that understands need in the community. It is hoped that the fund will become a permanent feature of the area, and that over time, it will develop and grow, with the community taking ownership, both in decision-making and fundraising.
What can the fund support?
Projects must be of benefit to people who live, work or study in the Elephant & Castle Opportunity Area. Here, you can view a boundary map of the area this fund covers.
Applications must address at least one of the following themes
- Further education, skill building, training and entrepreneurship: Helping residents to increase their educational attainment, develop skills, access training and gain employment.
Arts and culture: Promoting engagement in arts and cultural activities, in particular, those that celebrate the diversity of the area and improve the local environment.
- Young people: Engaging and improving the lives of young people in the area, providing youth activities and supporting young residents to reach their potential.
- Wellbeing: Promoting wellbeing, helping people to connect with others and addressing what are known as the Five Ways to Wellbeing. These are: Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Keep Learning and Give. Applications on food insecurity and obesity will also be considered under this theme.
- Environment: Increasing access to green spaces and improving the local environment within the Elephant & Castle Opportunity Area, with particular emphasis on projects where residents are involved in making the improvements themselves. We are also interested in proposals that respond to the Climate Emergency.The majority of beneficiaries must live, work or study in the Elephant & Castle Opportunity Are
There is no income threshold for groups applying to this fund, however, we are looking to support local community projects and priority will be given to locally based community and resident organisations. If your organisation has an income over £1m per annum, please call and speak to us before you make an application. In a competitive situation priority is likely to go to smaller organisations.
Applications must meet the following criteria:
- The majority (at least 90%) of beneficiaries must live, work or study in the Elephant & Castle Opportunity Area
- Projects must meet a locally identified need. You will need to demonstrate that the project is wanted and needed by communities who will benefit, for example, through consultation or informal feedback
- Applicants must commit to the Southwark Stands Together pledges, and be able to demonstrate or commit to developing a diversity improvement strategy
- Applicants must demonstrate how the proposed work meets a gap in provision and/or complements existing services
Please read the fund guidelines for a complete list of criteria and priorities.
Organisations can apply for grants up to £10,000 to be spent within for 12 months or one grant of up to £20,000 may be awarded to one organisation to deliver a project within 24 months of the grant award date. The grant will be released in two instalments: £10,000 in year 1 and £10,000 in year 2.
Source of funding
This fund receives funding from Southwark Council, Lendlease and Get Living.
How to apply
If you’d like to understand more about the fund please take a look at the guidelines by clicking on the buttons below or at the top right hand side of the screen. The online application form guidelines are also there to help you when filling out the form online.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 13th June 2023.
If you have any queries about the fund, please contact us on 020 7582 5117 or at email@example.com.