Resources for individuals

We know that with the rising cost of inflation, energy bill increases and other, individual circumstances, many individuals are in need of financial advice and support. While we do not currently offer individual grants, this page provides basic information on where to seek support for the following issues:

  • General support
  • Grants for individuals
  • Young people support
  • Energy poverty support
  • Food poverty support
  • Migrant support
  • COVID support (for businesses and mental health)

General support

Citizens Advice is a network of 316 independent charities throughout the United Kingdom that give free, confidential information and advice to assist people with money, legal, consumer and other problems.

They can provide free, impartial advice on:

  • Benefits
  • Work
  • Debt and money
  • Energy poverty and energy bill grants
  • Consumers
  • Family
  • Housing
  • Law and courts
  • Immigration
  • Health

The Mayor of London has set up a web page with useful resources to help with the cost of living. It covers:

  • Help paying your bills
  • Help with debts
  • Help with your income
  • Help in a crisis
  • Help with mental health support
  • Help for migrants

Grants for individuals


Turn-to-us are a national charity proving information and financial support to individuals and families. They provide:

Phone: 0808 802 2000 (9am - 5pm Monday-Friday)

Let's Talk

Let’s talk is an online resource for individuals, charities and organisations to access help and support.

They have their own Support Funds, and also list other Support Funds you might want to access.

They support for individuals and families, including:

  • Warm Home Discounts: Let's Talk manage a number of Warm Home Discount Schemes on behalf of energy companies with successful applicants receiving a £140 credit towards their electricity bill by 31 March
  • Money Management tools
  • Benefits Eligibility calculator
  • Support for businesses: if you are small or medium sized business there are schemes available that may be able to help you clear debts for business electricity and gas

Online only

Young people support

Prince's Trust

The Prince's Trust supports young people aged 11-30 with advice, confidence building and employment.

Funding available:

  • Funding to train and learn


  • Aged 16 to 30 and living in the UK
  • Studying less than 14 hours a week or not in compulsory education
  • Unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week

Funding can cover:

  • Accredited course fees up to Level 3 (A-level equivalent)
  • Tools, equipment or uniforms for a job or qualification
  • Job licence fees
  • Transport to a new job until your first pay slip

The typical amount awarded is £175-£250

Access more information on funding to train and learn here.

  • Funding for starting a business

Enterprise Programme: offers training, mentoring, resources and the chance to apply for a low-interest loan. Once admitted onto the programme, you may apply for business loans between £500 to £5,000 at a rate of 6.2% APR.

Access more information on finance for starting a business here.

Energy support

UK Government winter fuel payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter.

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically in November or December (and do not need to claim) if you’re eligible and either:

  • get the State Pension
  • get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)

Phone: 0800 731 0160

National Energy Action (NEA)

If you’re struggling with energy bill costs National Energy Action (NEA) can help. They offer a free support to people in England and Wales to help with their energy bills and keeping warm and safe in their home.

Phone: 0800 304 7159, Monday to Friday 10.00 am-12.00 noon

Food support

The Trussell Trust

The Trussell Trust operate the largest network of foodbanks across the UK.  Food banks work with frontline professionals, such as children’s centres, housing associations, advice charities, to identify people who need support and give them a food bank vouchers.

If you want to be referred to a food bank, call the number 0808 2082138 to talk confidentially to a trained Citizens Advice adviser, who may refer you or may provide other support.

Search for your nearest food bank on the Trussell Trust website.

Phone: 0808 208 2138

Arts Funding

Arts Council England

Arts Council England run a National Lottery Project Grants programme, for arts, museums, and libraries projects.

Open to individual artists, community, and cultural organisations. Find out more about arts funding.

Migrant support

Support for migrant families

The website provides a tool to find out where migrant families can get help with housing and financial support when they have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).

Use this tool to find out if a person:

  • May be able to claim benefits and social housing
  • May be able to get help from social services
  • Might need to seek immigration advice

To note: The tool does not ask for confidential information, nor keep any record of personal details. Access the support tool for migrant families.

Mental health support


Mind provides information and helplines nationally for people with a mental health problem, or someone supporting them. They provide:

  • Information on types of mental health problems
  • Helplines
  • Legal advice around mental health

Visit the Mind website for mental health support.

Phone: 0300 123 3393, 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday


Samaritans operate a free, one-to-one 24/7 mental health service

They will listen to whatever is on your mind and help you work through it.

If you need advice or specialist support for a specific issue, such as a bereavement or domestic abuse, they have put together a list of specialist organisations, including their contact details, which you may find helpful.

Read about Samaritans' free mental health service.

Phone: 116 123, open 24/7