Minister Rob Wilson MP celebrates Volunteers’ Week
As part of Volunteers’ Week, which celebrates the contribution made by volunteers across the UK, we were pleased to accompany the Minister for Civil Society, Rob Wilson, to the Furzedown Project, a project funded by The London Community Foundation.
The Furzedown Project was established over 40 years ago by Dr Norman Levinson to overcome the isolation of older people in Furzedown, Tooting and Streatham and is thriving, thanks to Mick Morrell, Project Manager and his team of volunteers.
Russell Delew, our Chief Executive said: “We are delighted with the Minister’s interest in this vibrant community initiative. So many older people experience feelings of loneliness and isolation and Furzedown supplies the friendly and purposeful environment that is missing from their lives.”
The Furzedown Project is an activity centre for people 60+ and provides a varied programme of social, conversational, exercise, and arts and craft activity sessions. Russell continued: “Furzedown is a place where everyone has a chance to participate from welcoming new arrivals to visiting those members who are housebound. Members also organise activities that range from singing and book groups to yoga and swimming sessions.”
The Minister took part in the organisation’s weekly Co-Op Shop and Coffee Morning, where he was able to meet and greet members arriving on the Project’s mini bus intent on doing their weekly shopping as well as sitting down to chat over tea, coffee and biscuits.
Published on 16 June 2016
- Shining a light on food poverty in London
- Comic Relief donates £1 million to the Evening Standard Dispossessed Fund this Red Nose Day
- Training dates announced for Lambeth Capacity Building Programme
- Stronger Together - Lambeth Capacity Building Programme 2017-19
- Holiday closures
- D & D London supports Food for London
- Tender Opportunity - Capacity Building in Lambeth
- We're now a Living Wage Friendly Funder!
- Food for London - open funding round!
- Food for London
- Minister Rob Wilson MP celebrates Volunteers’ Week
- Looking for community representatives to help make a big difference in London
- Lambeth Community Fund - a review of grantmaking 2013-15
- Our Catalysts create change
- 'I see no reason not to help'
- Give London launches!
- Donor Advised Funds: A Family Affair
- Announcing our new CEO
- Holiday closures
- Leaving a philanthropic legacy