Community Foundations Celebrate 100 Years!
2014 marks the 100 year anniversary since lawyer and banker Frederick H. Goff established the first community foundation in Cleveland, Ohio. His vision was to pool the charitable resources of the city’s philanthropists into a single, great and permanent endowment for the benefit of the residents of Cleveland. The interest from this trust would then be distributed by community leaders for local charitable purposes for many years to come.
From this revolutionary idea, the Cleveland Foundation was born on 2nd January 1914. Within five years, other community foundations sprung up across America, and in 1975, the first UK community foundation was established in Swindon. Currently there are about 50 community foundations in the UK covering England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and 1,700 worldwide. The London Community Foundation was formed in 1995, and since then we have given out nearly £40 million to local charities and community groups, through over 5,000 grants across London.
2013 has been another success story for community foundations, topped off by Mark Zuckerberg’s donation of nearly $1bn to Silicon Valley Community Foundation in December, highlighting community foundations as key to investment in local causes. True to Goff’s vision, The London Community Foundation continue to act as the meeting place for many different donors, private and public who wish to benefit London residents in whatever way they can. Over the course of last year we awarded approximately £4.5 million in over 1,000 grants to an amazing array of groups who continue to work towards a strong and generous London. Here’s to a great 2014!
For more information about Frederick H. Goff, visit Cleveland Foundation's website
Published on 06 January 2014
- Guardian Voluntary Sector comment piece
- Financial support for those directly impacted by Grenfell Tower fire
- Grenfell Tower update
- Artists for Grenfell
- Grenfell Tower Appeal update
- Emergency Appeal - Grenfell Fire
- Free capacity building support in Lambeth - latest dates announced
- Building brighter futures across London
- Looking for community representatives to help make a big difference in London
- Shining a light on food poverty in London
- Comic Relief donates £1 million to the Evening Standard Dispossessed Fund this Red Nose Day
- Training dates announced for Lambeth Capacity Building Programme
- Stronger Together - Lambeth Capacity Building Programme 2017-19
- Holiday closures
- D & D London supports Food for London
- Tender Opportunity - Capacity Building in Lambeth
- We're now a Living Wage Friendly Funder!
- Food for London - open funding round!
- Food for London
- Minister Rob Wilson MP celebrates Volunteers’ Week
- > 2017
- > 2016
- > 2015
- > 2014
- > November
- > October
- > September
- > June
- > May
- > March
- > February
- > January
- > Fund Workshop for Deptford Small Grants Fund - Thursday 6th February
- > CitiCabForTheDay Challenge
- > The London Community Foundation's former Chairman awarded CBE in New Year Honours
- > Community Foundations Celebrate 100 Years!
- > 2013
- > 2012
- > 2011